IZEA

Monday, June 22, 2009

YOUNIS KHAN ANNONCES RETIREMENT FROM T20



Younis Khan announces his retirement from Twenty20 internationals. Younis' final act in Twenty20 international cricket was to lift the trophy that so narrowly evaded Pakistan two years prior. It is likely Shahid Afridi, Misbah-ul-Haq and Kamran Akmal will be the leading candidates as 20-over captain. "This is my last Twenty20 game," he said at the conclusion of his press conference. "I'm old now for this kind of cricket."

Younis will continue to play Test and ODI cricket, and hopes he will again have the opportunity to lead his national team on home soil. Younis has previously warned that the absence of international cricket could kill the game in Pakistan, "I am requesting to all of the countries: 'You must come to Pakistan. Everybody knows law and order is not good but it is not our fault. Especially for youngsters, we need home series because everywhere there is no cricket in Pakistan. How can we motivate the youngsters.How can we promote cricket to our youngsters if there is no international game in Pakistan? How can I motivate my son and my neighbours' small children? That's why we need cricket in PakistanI think sports should be away from politics."

He also added that "I'm the second Khan winning a World Cup for Pakistan, so I'm very proud of my Khans," said Younis. "This is my dream. I dreamed all the time of lifting the World Cup. My thinking in all my career is that I will be remembered for a team like 1992. I was not in the Imran Khan team, and this is a dream come true. I'm really happy. Though this World Cup is Twenty20, at least we won our second World Cup. This is a gift to our whole nation."

Younis dedicated Pakistan's World Twenty20 triumph to his former coach Bob Woolmer, who died during the 2007 World Cup in the Caribbean.Well done Younis. Your country will be proud of you. You chose the right moment for everything! Hats off. Like you said yourself - keep politics away from Sports. You've won the world cup - Congratulations on that - but keep it to that. Dont try to turn it around and use the stage to make a "political" speech.

No comments:

Post a Comment